When you’re tired and hungry, so often “what you see is what you eat”. What do you see when you open your refrigerator or pantry? Use these tips to help you set your kitchen up for weight loss success.
How Your Kitchen Can Help You Lose Weight
Did you know how you set up your kitchen can help you lose weight? With how much more time we have all been spending at home these days, your kitchen plays a big role in your eating habits. For example, when you’re tired and hungry, so often “what you see is what you eat”. What do you see when you open your refrigerator or pantry? Plenty of healthful options —or a big bag of potato chips or other empty-calorie snack staring you in the face?
Whether you have recently started on your weight loss journey, are dabbling with the idea, or simply want to eat more nutritiously, here are a few tips on how to organize your kitchen to set you up for success that goes beyond meal prepping.
Here are a few tips to help you stock and organize your kitchen in a way that supports your weight loss goals:
Check Your Shelves
- Do a quick inventory to make sure you still have plenty of the good stuff on hand. Do you love Vanilla Crispy Squares? Stocking up on your favorite IP snacks will help you keep from being tempted to dive into someone else’s bag of chips.
- Keep your refrigerator stocked with veggies (fresh or frozen) and lean proteins. Also ensure you have protocol friendly condiments and spices to make your meals and snacks more interesting. Oils, vinegars, mustards, hot sauces, or spice blends can add a kick to that chicken breast —just be sure to check labels to ensure they are protocol friendly.
- After you know what you have, then you can arrange it to support your habit of healthy eating. Give the healthiest options prime real estate: a bag of fresh vegetables front and center in the refrigerator, for example.
- When storing leftovers, put healthy options in clear containers so you can see what’s inside.
- Keep a pitcher of cold water where you’ll see it easily in the refrigerator to remind you to drink more.
- Pre-portion your own snacks so that you don’t eat too much. Eating too much of good-for-you foods can also pack on those pounds you just took off.
- If you live with family members or housemates and they have treats you don’t want to indulge in, give them their own out-of-sight shelf, cabinet or drawer, one that you don’t see regularly.
Keep it clean
- According to one study, a messy kitchen is also one that encourages overeating. Chaos in the kitchen seems to translate into more munching. Keep your kitchen organized and you’ll be less likely to lose control of your eating.
By following these tips you can ensure that the next time you feel hungry, when you open your pantry or refrigerator, it will be easy to find foods that fill you up, make you feel good, and help continue your weight loss.
For more advice and support in reaching your weight loss goals, talk to a Vital Body weight loss coach.
If you are not yet following the Ideal Protein protocol offered at Vital Body, and are interested in learning more, we invite you to speak to a Vital Body weight loss coach too. Book a free, virtual consultation today —we would be happy to answer any questions you might have!