Weight loss is a journey. At Vital Body Weight Loss Centre many of our prospective clients sign up for a free online consultation with a goal weight in mind, and a list of previous diets and programs they have already tried.
We often begin by touching on what hasn’t worked so far and why. Through this process, our weight loss coaches have noticed that there’s a common obstacle amongst individuals working towards implementing healthy lifestyle changes: self-sabotaging thoughts.
If you’re wondering what self-sabotage can look like, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Personal Trainer: Marysa Cardwell, wrote an online blog post titled The Essential Guide to Reducing Self Sabotaging Thoughts. Marysa identifies nine reasons why we sabotage our efforts to self-improve, which include:
- Setting goals that are unachievable.
- Underlying fear of succeeding.
- Making goals based on someone else’s thoughts or success
- Feeling like we don’t deserve to succeed.
- Feeling scared about the effort required to succeed.
- Having sabotaging loved ones or friends.
- Using food or alcohol as a reward rather than an occasional treat.
- Expecting habits to change more quickly than is realistic.
- Not recognizing that knowing what you should do is only the first step in a longer journey.
If any of the above resonates with you, we highly recommend giving Marysa Cardwell’s post a read. She has some wonderful, actionable, pointers on how to better manage negative thoughts and keep you on your path to success.
Alternatively, if you’re unsure of how, or if, self-sabotage is affecting your progress, and believe you might benefit from a fresh perspective and some support on your weight loss journey, don’t hesitate to book a free online consultation with a Vital Body weight loss coach. We’re here to help!