Whether you have the palate of a toddler or are bored to tears by healthy food, we have a few simple tricks that can help you start eating better.
Learn How To Love Healthy Foods
A common goal for most people is to start “eating healthy”, but that’s easier said than done for those of us who don’t enjoy the usual healthy foods or are simply picky eaters. Whether you have the palate of a toddler or are bored to tears by healthy food, we have a five tips that can help you start eating better.
1) Start Small – To make eating healthy a lasting habit, start with small, simple changes and try new ways of thinking about eating.
2) Mix what you like with new healthy foods – Some people don’t like healthy foods because they seem bland. To solve that problem, first, buy better-quality foods (the fresher the better). Then go ahead and spice up that dish with your favourite flavours. Besides salt and pepper, consider other meal enhancers such as chilli flakes, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, salsa, or garlic.
3) Try Different Food Preparations – Roasted cauliflower or broccoli (instead of steamed/boiled) is a revelation. Seriously, try it if you haven’t yet. Or if you have the means, consider investing in a juicer; some people swear a juicer has transformed their relationship with vegetables.
4) Eat More of the Healthy Foods You Do Like – Healthier eating might just mean increasing the portion of the healthy foods you do like. In something like shepherd’s pie, for example, make the vegetables and meat a bigger proportion of the dish and eliminate carbs wherever possible.
5) Keep trying – Keep trying without being too hard on yourself, whether you’ve got a limited palate or the only thing that looks good to you is steak and potatoes. Ditching a dysfunctional diet for a healthier one takes work, but it’s well worth it.